James A. Brodsky
Jim, a law firm founding member, advises clients on strategic business initiatives, federal compliance and regulatory matters, mergers and acquisitions, asset purchases and sales, and secondary mortgage market transactions. As a former HUD Deputy Assistant Secretary, he has deep experience in FHA and Ginnie Mae (as well as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) requirements, issues and opportunities, and also is Co-General Counsel of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association.
Jim is a Director of Enterprise Community Development, the nation’s fifth largest affordable housing developer and community owner with well over a billion dollars of investments in almost 13,000 homes with more than 21,000 residents in 112 communities in four mid-Atlantic states and the District of Columbia.
Jim formerly served as Chairman of a county housing finance agency that has issued over a billion dollars of mortgage revenue bonds.
Jim also formerly served as a Director (and as initial Lead Director and as Chair of the Compensation Committee) of MFA Financial, Inc., a multi-billion dollar NYSE-listed REIT that invests, on a leveraged basis, in residential mortgage financial assets and that is the owner of Lima One Capital.
- Investigation and Enforcement
- Licensing & Approvals
- Regulatory Compliance
- Federal Regulatory Compliance
- State Regulatory Compliance
- Transactional and Corporate
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1972
- Columbia University, M.S.E.E., 1968
- Cornell University, B.S., 1967
- District of Columbia
- Structured, negotiated, documented, and secured regulatory approvals in connection with complex residential mortgage company mergers and acquisitions
- Resolved regulatory and compliance issues with multiple state and federal mortgage and banking regulators
- Developed sophisticated arrangements among real estate settlement service providers, including but not limited to residential mortgage lenders, servicers, sub-servicers, and investors (public and private), in compliance with applicable federal and state regulatory requirements
- Structured flow and whole loan purchase and sale, and investment and loan, transactions
- Advised national industry trade associations on full range of activities, including participating in regulatory, legislative, and public affairs initiatives, developing and guiding complex industry ethics and compliance programs, and fashioning modern membership requirements
- Led multiple Boards (for profit and non-profit) in the residential real estate development and community building and mortgage finance arenas, particularly with respect to strategic and succession planning, risk and opportunity assessments, and governance matters
- Co-author, The Reverse Mortgage Practical Guide (AllRegs 2007)
- Contributing Author, Secondary Market Residential Mortgage Transactions (A.S. Pratt & Sons)
- Consulting Editor, Mortgage Lending Compliance Alert (Eli Research)